Monday, July 15, 2013

Shopping For an Investment Watch

 

Last week, I picked up this Gucci watch for my 37th birthday.  It was a belated gift to myself, so I wanted to make sure I got something that would be a memorable gift.  {Last year's gift was a trip to Italy and that was a very memorable gift.}

I had been considering buying a new watch for myself for some time now.  I had to think...did I want a trendy watch, a classic watch, an expensive watch...what?  I decided that I didn't just want some flashy, trendy watch.  I wanted an investment piece that would last for a very long time. 

I did some research on the Bloomingdale's website and decided that I wanted a couture designer watch that would look nice if I wore it to the Opera and would still look appropriate with a t-shirt and a pair of jeans at a hockey game. 

I printed out a list of 'bracelet' watches, highlighted the ones I wanted to view and headed to Bloomingdale's to try them on.

To help me decide, I found a sales person that ended up being a world traveler who also enjoyed the Opera.  These two important attributes allowed me the assistance I needed to find a watch I could bond with.  She was able to help me decide what kind of watch would be perfect for me.  I had already decided that I wanted to purchase either a Gucci or a Fendi watch, so that narrowed down the choices. 

Working with the sales lady, I was able to decide how to choose my investment watch.  Here are some things to consider when you are shopping for your own investment watch:

  1. The first question all centers around who YOU are.  What is your personality?  Are you trendy? Fashion Forward?  Or are you more of a classic? 

    [An easy way to figure this out is by taking a look at your wardrobe and accessories you already own.  Do you tend to buy fashionable items that are the latest trend every single season?  Are you the type of person that always has the latest IT item straight off the runway?  Or are you the type of person that leans more towards the classics that will be in style for the next 20-40 years (think Jackie O or Audrey Hepburn)?]
  2. How often do you plan on shopping for a new watch?  Every 2-3 years?  When the style goes out?  Or until it stops running?
  3. What type of band do you want?  Leather, silver, gold, duo tone?  What color suits you and your wardrobe?
  4. What type of face do you want?  Do you want a watch that marks each hour or one without?  Do you want a digital watch or a watch with hands? How about diamonds?  What kind of color/pattern background do you want on the face?
  5. Next...what type of details do you want on the watch?  Does it need to be water-resistant? Glo-in-the-dark?  What types of links do you want?  Do you want a bracelet style, cuff style, or a trendy/classic link bracelet?
When you are at the counter, these are the questions you need to ask yourself.  A good sales person will already be asking you these questions as they try to help you decide on a watch.  The most important thing here is that you need to choose a watch that best reflects your personality.

For me, I went with a classic style because this was an investment watch.  I don't go watch shopping often (haven't worn a watch in 13 years) and I wanted to make sure I chose a watch that would go with everything I own...including those formal gowns.

It is important to actually go to the counter and try the watch on.  I was strongly considering buying one of the leather cuff Gucci watches.  I tried it on and didn't like the way it looked on me.  It was a trendier, more fashion forward watch that I knew I would love.  Truthfully, I thought that was the watch I would end up buying when I saw it online.  Sometimes when you see it on...you don't love it as much. 

I tried on 7 different watches before deciding on a link bracelet watch with a black face and diamonds marking the hours.  The sales lady couldn't find the tag that went with the watch so she brought out a different watch with a chocolate, checkered print face (sans diamonds).  I saw it and said, "No, that's the watch I want."  Ends up that was about a $1445 price difference. 

Bloomies had sent me a $100 gift card for my birthday so I used that towards the watch...and I walked away a very happy customer. 

I don't think I would have been happy with the black face, diamond hours setting.  I was happier with a chocolate face, checkered pattern background.  That is more a reflection of my personality than the diamonds...to me, life is all about the little details.  With the checkered pattern you have to look very close to see it...those are the details I'm looking for.

An investment watch is what it is...an investment.  You're investing a lot of money into a product that you plan on having for a very long time, maybe even something to pass on to future generations.  It is important while shopping for an investment watch that you get a watch that best reflects who you are. 

xxoo,
 
Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment