Monday, August 5, 2013

Bag of the Day: Carpisa Italia Limited Edition 2012



This is a really cute bag I picked up in Rome, Italy last summer.  I saw it in one of the shop windows near The Spanish Steps and had to have it.  It's the perfect classic summer bag (very reminiscent of the classic Hermes Kelly bag).

Carpisa is a very inexpensive retailer of handbags in Italy.  Unfortunately, you'll have to go to Italy in order to shop at Carpisa.  They are selling their 'tattoo' luggage online, but that's it. 

When I travel, I try to buy local.  Carpisa is strictly an Italian brand and company.  They are not international.  You won't find their bags in America for sale at any regular department store.  You have to go to Italy to buy their brand. 

One of the great things about Italy is that there are Italian leather purse stores everywhere.  Because there are so many stores, you can always find a great deal and a memorable purchase you can bring back home.  You know...that little story that goes along with that moment you made the purchase.

After all, a great world traveling fashionista always has a great story to go with what she's wearing. 

For those who travel or are looking forward to an upcoming vacation, here are some ideas to think about when you shop while you're traveling:

1.  Always buy local.  If you can buy it back at home, what makes this item so special?  Think...if you're going to show it off to friends on how you bought X item in Paris on your vacation, how are you going to feel when your friend responds that they bought the exact same item at Macy's just last week?  Not so special now is it?  Buy local. 

2.  Create a collection.  When you travel, try and hunt for items that you will love.  Create a hobby out of it.  For me, I have a handbag collection.  I buy a handbag from every place I visit.  If I'm traveling on NHL business, I buy something from Burberry [this is a tradition I've held for 5 years].  I also seek out places that have scarves authentic to the region.  I go grocery shopping, looking for ingredients to bring back to my kitchen back at home.  Bringing home spices, teas, jams, chocolates, etc. are usually on my TO BUY LIST when I travel internationally.  Domestically, I look for cute magnets or clothing that is geared toward that specific city.  When you travel, figure out what you love and could create a hobby out of and make it a mission to stray away from the touristy stuff and focus on buying the things you want to bring back to add to your travel collection.

After all, I always remember where I bought X item in X city, no matter what it was.  It fills your memory of a happier time...you know, when you were on vacation!!!!

3.  Gifts.  Stray away from the touristy stuff.  Everyone has some sort of hobby.  Look for gifts that your friends/family will love by keeping it local and something that they can add to their own collection.  If they love cooking, taste some great food and go out and buy ingredients or cookbooks to bring back home that will duplicate that amazing dinner you had.  It will make the gift more meaningful when you explain why you picked up X, Y and Z for them. 

If they love sports, bring home a jersey from the local club.  I know when I go to Europe there are local teams everywhere for European football. 

If they love fashion, there are plenty of awesome shops you can peek into that are similar to the H&M, Zara and Forever 21 stores back in America.  I've found plenty of cute stuff, especially accessories, that no one else in America has.  When I was in Dublin, I picked up a dress that was on sale only to see it in a fashion magazine in America a couple of months later at 4x the price I paid for it.  European fashion is usually ahead of American fashion. 

Everyone has their own loves, just keep away from the tourist traps, go where the locals go, and shop there.  You'll be surprised how much cheaper the local stuff is as compared to the touristy stuff. 

4.  Make sure you have room.  Buying 10 different handbags in Italy last summer created a predicament...I started to run out of room in my suitcase.  Towards the end of my trip, I started looking for bags that were easy to pack that would lie flat in the suitcase.  Just make sure you buy light when you shop, especially if you are city hopping through Europe!  Leave the food shopping for the end of the trip, and make sure to put the jars of local jam in your 'check in' and not your carryon.  Trust me...they will confiscate your 'liquid' items...and that includes JAM! 

xxoo,

Michelle

{Scarf: Zuma Scarf from gorjana-griffin courtesy of PopSugar Must Have}
  

No comments:

Post a Comment